[LMB] Milkweed and mutations

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 12 06:09:40 BST 2019

From: Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com>

Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:
> (It's always interesting to read English fantasy when English is not
> your native language: you never know what things are real and what are
> invented.? I remember thinking "soda fountain" was a weird SF-nal
> invention back when I first read Heinlein.)

That one isn't a language thing, it's a cultural thing.  Jo Walton,
who grew up in Wales, had the same reaction:
https://www.tor.com/2010/12/03/ever-outward-robert-a-heinleins-have-space-suit-will-travel/

Gwynne: To me America was always a wild fantasy of a place. I was never
sure what was real and what was imagination. I remember one book had
a drunken forest, and I thought that was such a clever idea... decades later
I saw one. They're real! The author didn't explain much because he assumed
everyone knew what they were.

It was also the place where I saw mountains that were purple, REAL purple,
in the distance. I always thought that was faked, in movies, to make them
look prettier. I mean, I'd heard of purple mountains, but never realised how
purply purple they could be. (Instead of the usual and ordinary blue.)

Often when I read a book I could tell that there were codes I wasn't picking
up: some words or phrases obviously carried a meaning I just didn't know (Of
course it didn't help that I was way too young for most of what I read.)
Sometimes, reading it again years later with more knowledge and experience,
I'd have a whole new perspective of it all.  But there's still some things that
baffle me.