[LMB] We've been discussing gene engineering on people...:

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 12 06:26:27 BST 2019

From: Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>

The trouble with ADHD is that, while it does exist, it's often
mis-diagnosed, generally by observers with no proper credentials to make
such a diagnosis.  We often expect kids to "sit still and be quiet" far
more than they're ready for, and when they don't, exasperated adults yell
"ADHD!"  and reach for the medication.

Gwynne: I saw way too many parents using ADHD as a comfortable label
so that they didn't have to make any effort to control their spoilt, badly
behaved offspring. And too many who wanted a magic pill that'd fix all
the problems, again without actual parental effort. There used to be a
doctor near where I was working who diagnosed any child the parents
wanted labelled, and gave out prescriptions like confetti. I saw cases where
'It worked for his cousin so it'll work for him'  (It didn't, you couldn't
get further from ADHD than that poor kid.)

But there were the real ones, too. It's hard, because the bandwagon-parents
have given the syndrome a bad name. But the real ones, you know it when
you see it. One dear little 5-year-old would go down to the back of the room
and run in small circles when she couldn't control herself. For such a young
child that was a pretty impressive coping strategy. The medication really
helped her, once we convinced her dingbat mother that, if you miss a dose,
YOU DON'T GIVE A DOUBLE DOSE FOR THE NEXT ONE. (Oh, she was seeing
green things coming out of the walls and talking with giant butterflies? Gee,
I wonder why that was.....)