[LMB] Milkweed and mutations

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 12 14:47:01 BST 2019

From: Gretchen Wright <gretchen.m.wright at gmail.com>

> Gwynne: I've never seen [a firefly]. I know what they are, I've read books
> that mention them, heard songs, etc - for a long time I didn't really believe
> they existed, but apparently they do. Most of the Aussie fauna doesn't light up.

 Gretchen:

Gwynne: Well the Blue-Ringed Octopus is really pretty, it's a very small creature,
roughly the size of your hand, and the blue rings can really shine brightly.
https://physicsworld.com/a/octopus-skin-inspires-new-infrared-reflector/
[https://physicsworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/octopus-2-1024x815.png]<https://physicsworld.com/a/octopus-skin-inspires-new-infrared-reflector/>
Octopus skin inspires new infrared reflector – Physics World<https://physicsworld.com/a/octopus-skin-inspires-new-infrared-reflector/>
Warning signs: the greater blue-ringed octopus changes its appearance when threatened using techniques that have inspired an adaptive infrared reflector. (CC BY-SA 2.5/Jens Petersen) A simple device with tuneable infrared reflectivity has been made by mimicking the adaptive properties of the skin of ...
physicsworld.com

Before it kills you.