[LMB] Milkweed and mutations

Harvey Fishman fishman at panix.com
Sat Oct 12 16:17:56 BST 2019

------ Original Message ------
From: "Gwynne Powell" <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
Bcc: fishman at panix.com
To: "lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk" <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: 10/12/2019 1:54:29 AM
Subject: [LMB] Milkweed and mutations

>Gwynne: I'll have to put Dairy Queen on my list of 'stuff to do next time
>I'm in the US'. I've been to Walmart a few times, oh it was glorious! Never
>seen a firefly yet, that's on the list too.

I grew up in Brooklyn (New York), and on my corner (Caton Avenue and St.
Paul's Place) there was a subway station at one end of the Church Avenue
station on the Brighton Line. In the station building there was a
newsstand and a drug store. The drug store had three parts mashed in it
under separate managements; a pharmacist, a notions and tobacco store,
and a lunch counter. The lunch counter had fountain service. At the
other end of the station (Church Avenue and East 18th Street) the
station building had two wet candy stores (one each side of the entrance
to gather traffic from each direction). A wet candy store was
essentially a newsstand with a fountain. A dry candy store generally
just sold newspapers, magazines, and candy. Completely changed now (75
years later). The Caton Avenue building now just has the subway entrance
and a bodega (that's another magic name). The building at the Church
Avenue end has been completely rebuilt and has no stores.

Harvey