[LMB] Fwd: Re: We've been discussing gene engineering on people...

Jelbelser jelbelser at comcast.net
Sun Oct 13 02:33:30 BST 2019

> On Oct 12, 2019, at 1:59 PM, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A condition with no known etiology that is diagnosed only through symptoms
> perceived by others, and in the presence of strong external preferences as
> to acceptable behavior?  *Sure* it's a real condition.
>
> There is no actual standard by which diagnoses can be evaluated by.  It's
> possible that such standards may be discovered.  It's possible that
> diagnoses will be withheld until such standards exist.
>

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 2:41 PM Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The trouble with ADHD is that, while it does exist, it's often
>> mis-diagnosed

Just like schizophrenia. Autistic spectrum. And other psychiatric conditions. Actually, they have found neurological correlates of ADHD, schizophrenia, and autistic spectrum. It’s just that the tests aren’t practical for routine diagnosis.

ADHD is technically a diagnosis of exclusion. There are a lot of factors that can cause someone to appear to have it, but when someone who knows what they are doing eliminates these, then the diagnosis is probably accurate.

Janet in TN