[LMB] Milkweed and mutations

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 03:48:10 BST 2019

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 4:12 PM Sharon Micenko <wembleyware at gmail.com>
wrote:

> There were lots of fireflies in Oklahoma City, when I lived there. That
> was 30 years ago, though, and I remember my delight at seeing my first
> redwing blackbird, after being used to the mono colour version in the UK.

Of course, the blackbird you see in the UK is a species of thrush (same
genus as the American Robin, which similarly is a completely different bird
from the European Robin), whereas the Red-winged Blackbird and its
relatives are in a different family altogether (the Icterids).

Those gleaming epaulets of his are definitely a delight! The female
Red-winged Blackbird, on the other hand, is brownish and streaky and
regularly gets voted "Bird Most Likely to Be Mistaken for a Weird-looking
Sparrow" by birdwatchers. :)

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>