[LMB] Milkweed and mutations

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 13 07:55:15 BST 2019

From: "Harvey Fishman" <fishman at panix.com>

>Gwynne: I'll have to put Dairy Queen on my list of 'stuff to do next time
>I'm in the US'. I've been to Walmart a few times, oh it was glorious! Never
>seen a firefly yet, that's on the list too.

I grew up in Brooklyn (New York), and on my corner (Caton Avenue and St.
Paul's Place) there was a subway station at one end of the Church Avenue
station on the Brighton Line. In the station building there was a
newsstand and a drug store. The drug store had three parts mashed in it
under separate managements; a pharmacist, a notions and tobacco store,
and a lunch counter. The lunch counter had fountain service......
Harvey

Gwynne: The first time I read about soda fountains I had an image of a real
fountain, with people holding cups under it to fill them. But why anyone
would want to drink soda water was beyond me. Somewhere along the way
I figured out that for some reason you call lemonade 'soda'. Weird. I'm
assuming the 'soda fountain' was actually more of a tap, you pull down on
the handle as if you're pulling a beer. No idea where 'fountain' came from.
Again, weird!