[LMB] Genetic engineering

Tidsel tidsel at protonmail.com
Sun Oct 13 13:10:27 BST 2019

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 12:08 PM Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org wrote:

> > Empathy gets in the way of making things work.

This is quite an assumption that needs further explanation.

 It's far more important
> > that the military wins when it fights.

More important than what?
That you treat your soldiers decently? That you treat the civilians decently? Neither is in the way of winning, quite the contrary.
Lack of empathy might loose you the peace.

Or that the corporation meets
> > its profit targets. If it goes out of business then there's nothing for
> > anyone.

If there is only something for the stock holders, I do not see the importance of that corporation. You might as well have a decent corporation that likewise has jobs for people and money for the stock holders. Or do you that only an exploitative corp can show a surplus?

In the final reckoning reality does not care about empathy it
> > only cares about results.

What does this mean? What reality? How do you define this 'reality'? I find your statement confusing. We are back to the idea that empathy is in the way of results, which is still an unproven assumption.