[LMB] No lefties

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Mon Oct 14 00:56:47 BST 2019

Recently I heard about an African-American woman who went to a gene tracking site that tracked the mitochondrial DNA. To her surprise, the results said that she was European.
If a European woman had a female child by an African man and each generation thereafter was descended through a female child , the current generation would test as European.
I have a problem, with some of the commercials at least, for the companies that track genetic ancestry. For example, one woman found that her ancestors came from Nigeria. She bought a traditional hat from Nigeria and said that helped her connect to her culture. I disagree. Culture is not transmitted genetically. That woman had no more connection to the culture in Nigeria than to Sweden. Less if she grew up in Minnesota around people who brought at least some of their culture with them when they migrated.

William A Wenrich