Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Oct 14 01:06:19 BST 2019

> On Oct 13, 2019, at 5:34 PM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>
> Left handed pitchers are sought after.

Baseball is slightly different because first base is on the right.    But in many sports such as boxing or fencing the lefty has an advantage because lefties are a minority.   They are more used to competing with righties than righties are with lefties.

In American Football a left handed quarterback spins the ball differently than a right handed quarterback, and his blind spot is on the other side.

There are golfers who play with clubs from their “wrong” side.   Phil Mickelson is right handed who mirrored his Dad’s swing.   Wayne Gretzky plays with right-handed clubs because they were at the store, but hockey players need to be somewhat ambidextrous anyway.  (Some bend their hockey sticks to benefit forehand shots)

I know a left-handed guitar player who strings his guitar “backwards”.   This doesn’t make sense to me as guitar players need to be facile with both hands, like piano players.