[LMB] No lefties

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 02:10:40 BST 2019

My mother used to ruefully comment that after she'd had me, she thought she
had this "motherhood" thing licked.  I was a very placid, easy baby to deal
with, and far less of a stress-inducer than a classroom full of nutty
high-schoolers (she'd taught the whole time she was carrying me; she went
to her last class' commencement, went home, went to the hospital the next
day and came home with me, poor wretch) so she thought she was pretty good
at this "mothering" thing.  The more so because, when I became old enough
to talk to, she found she could reason with me...if she gave me reasons why
I should or shouldn't do something that I could understand and made sense
to me, I was cool with it.

Then she had my brother.  Mom's comment was "I couldn't get you off your
butt, Eric...and I couldn't CATCH your brother!"  John was very active,
agile, and utterly fearless, and would climb anywhere he could.  Think
Young!Miles Vorkosigan only without the brittle bones.  Actually, though,
the fact that we were so very different meant that we had a lot less
conflict than other sets of brothers I knew...we just weren't interested in
the same things, most of the time.