[LMB] No lefties

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 23:20:14 BST 2019

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 9:11 PM Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:

> Then she had my brother.  Mom's comment was "I couldn't get you off your
> butt, Eric...and I couldn't CATCH your brother!"  John was very active,
> agile, and utterly fearless, and would climb anywhere he could.  Think
> Young!Miles Vorkosigan only without the brittle bones.  Actually, though,
> the fact that we were so very different meant that we had a lot less
> conflict than other sets of brothers I knew...we just weren't interested in
> the same things, most of the time.

Lots of aspects of personality are very strongly genetically-determined,
and they often do not 'breed true'.

To make this Bujoldian again, remember when Miles was pondering whether
hyperactivity in his hypothetical children could be "toned down" in the
gene cleaning?  Even though his own triggered mood swings and general
hyperactivity were critical in Miles' successes?

That's the sort of thinking that concerns me.  Mr. Oppen, if your mother
could have known and chosen whether she'd be having a baby like you or a
baby like your  brother, do you think she might have chosen the one that
posed less of a challenge?  What about people generally - do you think they
would prefer, and choose, easy-going babies or active and hard-to-care-for
babies?

Matt "not to pick on your mother specifically or anything" G.