[LMB] Dowager Duchesses?

Luke Bretscher rocketman0739 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 16:04:06 BST 2019

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 8:03 PM Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com> wrote:

> Can there be more than one Dowager Duchess? In the Wimsey family, Gerald
> died of a heart attack and Peter assumed the Dukedom. I assume that
> Helen became the Dowager Duchess, but if Honoria Lucasta was still
> alive, were they both Dowager Duchess of Denver?

Little-known factoid: the current duchess is technically the Dowage
Duchess. The previous duchess, if still alive, is the Dowager Duchess,
and her predecessor, if still alive, is the Dowagest Duchess. Yet if
by some chance four of the same duchesses are still alive at once, the
oldest will promptly be strangled in her bed by the other three, to
avoid having to come up with a fourth mode of address for her.

Luke