[LMB] OT: Breaking News—really?

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 18:54:24 BST 2019

The first time I was ever in an earthquake was in Taipei.  I was up about
ten stories in the Taipei Language Institute's classrooms, when all of a
sudden, just as I sat down, it felt like the chair was breaking under me.
It wasn't---the whole building was shaking.  We foreign students,
Midwesterners and Easterners all, were freaking out, and the locals were
hugely amused.  We could see bits of rubbish falling off the building, and
could hear a rumble, but it wasn't bad.

I also remember feeling a fairly strong shock one time when I was out in
Riverside, CA, at my brother's house.