[LMB] OT: Breaking News—really?

anmar Caver anmar.mirza at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 19:31:17 BST 2019

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 1:20 PM Aruvqan <aruvqan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/15/2019 3:46 AM, A. Marina Fournier wrote:
> >
> > You did know I’m a tectonics geek, right? The day before, I’d visited
> the US Geological Service in Menlo Park, before meeting a friend for
> dinner, up on business. Yes, I was checking out where the major faults
> were, and Kurt claims the USGS decided to flip a switch to demonstrate.
> Riiiight.
> >
> > I am absolutely fascinated with Iceland, and there are even other
> reasons I want to go.
> >
> > OBBujold: when there is a tectonic map of Sergyar, I want to see it. Any
> mineral hot springs? Geysers?
>
> The shake back in July was my first real earthquake that was noticable
> [I mean I vaguely remember a 'was that a truck going past' shaker on the
> east coast once] and I found it interesting =)

As a geologist, one of the major reasons I like traveling out west is
because of the naked geology. We have a lot of it here in Indiana but I
have to go underground to see it because the trees and soil cover most of
it.

So when we had a significant quake here a few years ago (shook the house,
no real damage), I was out of bed and up like a shot enjoying every moment
of it, then the next day was eagerly awaiting the aftershocks when one
happened. I was ecstatic.

I have experienced earthquakes while in caves, but it comes through more
like a low rumble than anything else since you are in the bedrock.

Usually the house shakes here because the nearby naval base (Crane) is
detonating something really large (2000# bombs on occasion!), but that's
like a really short quake lasting only a second or two when the ground wave
goes by.

--
Anmar Mirza EMT, N9ISY, NCRC National Coordinator, RBNC President