[LMB] OT: Breaking News?really?

anmar Caver anmar.mirza at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 15:53:51 BST 2019

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 10:35 AM Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> From: anmar Caver <anmar.mirza at gmail.com>
>

> Gwynne: You seem so nice, and intelligent. At first. But, sadly, YOU ARE
> ABSOLUTELY BATSH*T INSANE!!!!
>
> NOBODY in their right mind... nobody would go back into a cave after
> the FIRST earthquake in a cave.

*chuckles*

Well, geologically speaking, many caves are probably the safest places you
can be in an earthquake. Most caves have been around for hundreds of
thousands to millions of years and have endured numerous earthquakes. We
have collected data on earthquake damage in caves in this area from when
the New Madrid fault cut loose in 1812 by looking at broken formations we
used isotopic dating on, and we find very minor damage correlated to that
time period.

Caves are much safer because they are within the bedrock and the S and P
waves that travel through are of a longer wavelength than the openings in
the rock that the cave represents. It's generally the higher frequency
waves that cause the most destruction and those tend to occur at boundary
zones such as where the rock meets the air or soil.

Caves, unlike mines, tend to be very stable structures, given that they've
been around longer than any human construct. There are exceptions,
obviously. But then, it's my job to know those exceptions...

> Well, nobody in their right mind would probably go deep into a cave
> at all, unless they were trying to escape from something worse.

I have never claimed cavers were right in the head.

> As for WANTING to go through an earthquake; I live on top of a cliff.
> I'm seriously hoping to NEVER feel an earthquake there.

The house I am building is on top of a narrow ridge, built right on and in
the bedrock. Should be one of the safest structures around when the New
Madrid fault lets go again.

--
Anmar Mirza EMT, N9ISY, NCRC National Coordinator, RBNC President