[LMB] All hollow was Re: Milkweed and mutations

Gretchen Wright gretchen.m.wright at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 22:42:09 BST 2019

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 2:06 PM Gretchen Wright <gretchen.m.wright at gmail.com>
wrote:
Oh, and I have a WGW language question. Several times the expression is
used "to beat something all hollow." (Meaning to be far superior.) The only
other place I've come across this phrase is in the Laura Ingalls Wilder
Little House series, so I think of it as archaic and associated with 19th
century America. What are other people's associations for it?
-----
Excuse me for replying to my own post, but I have an update.

It turns out Herself uses the phrase 'all hollow' in one of Her other
universes as well:

Bergon was cast as the hero of this romantic adventure, with Iselle no less
as heroine for her night ride from Valenda. As appealing unifying myths
went, this one was going to beat dy Jironal’s feeble fable of Poor Mad
Iselle all hollow, Cazaril rather thought.

So much for my theory that she was trying to evoke the 19th century US.

I would still be curious to know if other listies use that phrase in their
daily lexicon, or what associations they have with it.

Gretchen