[LMB] textev - gene cleaning and euthanasia

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 17 00:32:43 BST 2019

Gretchen Wright <gretchen.m.wright at gmail.com> wrote:
> On another note, regarding the Betan women who chose "vivo" births, I had
> always read these two quotes together to mean that the children would still
> be gene-cleaned. I imagined that the conception could be in vitro, followed
> by implantation, not so different from what might happen on earth today.
> But I saw another poster (sorry I don't have the attribution) read it to
> mean that Cordelia's brother and his children had been conceived in a
> 'hippy-dippie' fashion and not gene cleaned. I suppose it could be read
> either way; since the parents or at least grandparents had been
> gene-cleaned, the risk would be fairly low compared to in our world.

We know that Nikki's genetic problem was treated with a synthesized
retrovirus to do a genetic splice.  Presumably the same kind of
treatment could be applied _in utero_, in some ways more easily since
there would be far fewer cells to change.  Other kinds of treatment
might be necessary for different conditions, but the same argument
applies.

Joel