M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 17 01:23:51 BST 2019

On Monday, October 14, 2019, 09:06:36 AM GMT+9, Howard Brazee

I know a left-handed guitar player who strings his guitar “backwards”.  This doesn’t make sense to me as guitar players need to be facile with both hands, like piano players.

Micki: There was a guitarist named Elizabeth Cotten (I think --
"Freight Train" composer, anyway) who played upside down and
left-handed. I believe she was self-taught. Strumming and picking
with the dominant hand is a bit different than holding down chords
and notes with the non-dominant hand. (I play ukulele.) I bet
different brain parts get trained, too.

It's hard to say which hand needs the most agility, but with thousands
of years of stringed instruments (and people actually making their own
and teaching themselves -- thereby getting some wild experimentation
in the mix), it seems that most people wind up with dominant hand
strumming and plucking and picking. I'd guess that there's a reason
for that.

I would also guess that if you learn it the other way, you get by OK. And
I would guess having to switch would be extremely frustrating once you
learned -- you are training muscles as well as parts of your brain.

Micki