[LMB] OT: Breaking News?really?

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Oct 17 05:03:50 BST 2019

 On Oct 16, 2019, at 7:30 PM, Aruvqan <aruvqan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/16/2019 6:42 PM, WalterStuartBushell wrote:
>>> What’s insane is driving on the freeways in costal CA. In the big one all the bridges,
>>> and overpasses will come down, there will be fires and there will be no rescue.
>> During the 1989 'Natural Disaster Tour' of the US, hubs and I were originally going to hit San Francisco for a day of touristing before heading down to Fresno.
>> We saw the San Francisco Earthquake footage on the news after we got to where we were staying in Fresno.

Loma Prieta, please. 60 miles SSE of SF. Because no part of Santa Cruz County touches the SF Bay, it is not actually considered part of the immediate Bay Area.

And Walter, thus far, with 1971 and 1994 Southern California quakes, only single freeway overpasses were damaged, and only the double-decker Bay Bridge (SF-Oakland) in 1989 pancaked, and on one segment alone. In the intervening years, much retrofitting and disaster preparedness planning has been put in place.

The major infrastructure—NW/SE roads, freeways, BART, trains, schools, two major universities, hospitals, utility conduits—all that in Alameda *on top of* the Hayward fault zone, now that scares the tar out of me, and I admit to reluctance to spend time there, even if a major quake, upper limit <7.5, will affect ALL counties in the Greater Bay Area. Hayward is largely parallel to the San Andreas, inland by about 50 miles.

The Calaveras fault zone splits off at Hollister (south of Gilroy (garlic!)) east of the Hayward zone, and seems to either terminate in southern Solano county, or merge into the Rodgers-Hayward fault zone, in Napa county—which substrate can liquefy, just like the parts of NE SF, which was built on landfill.

Calaveras might manage a 7-pointer. It’s near-rural for the most part.

I wouldn’t bet on widespread fires and no rescue. However, phone/Internet, power, and gas interruptions, greater issues with all these and water (mostly from small wells) in the inhabited mountain areas—‘nother matter.

A. Marina Fournier
Valley of Heart’s Delight, CA
saffronrose at me.com
sent from iFionnghuala