Brian Ross Ashley brashley46 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 05:55:55 BST 2019

On 10/16/19 8:20 PM, Micki Haller Yamada wrote:

> On Monday, October 14, 2019, 09:06:36 AM GMT+9, Howard Brazee?
>
> I know a left-handed guitar player who strings his guitar
> ?backwards?.? This doesn?t make sense to me as guitar players need to
> be facile with both hands, like piano players.
>
> Micki: There was a guitarist named Elizabeth Cotten (I think --?
> "Freight Train" composer, anyway) who played upside down and?
> left-handed. I believe she was self-taught. Strumming and picking?
> with the dominant hand is a bit different than holding down chords?
> and notes with the non-dominant hand. (I play ukulele.) I bet?
> different brain parts get trained, too.?

Yes! Elizabeth "Libba" Cotten taught herself to play guitar on a cheap
instrument she brought from her savings as a domestic. She did write,
among other songs, "Freight Train" ... and later on had to sue for the
royalties because a British folk band tried to copyright it.

After marriage and motherhood she gave up the guitar for 25 years. After
various vicissitudes she was hired by a Washington family as a
housemaid, after helping the little girl of the family find her mother
in a department store.

The little girl was Peggy Seeger. Working in the Seeger household
prompted her to take up her music again ...

Nota bene, I don't play guitar; I play mountain dulcimer. Different
technique altogether. Some lefty dulcimer players do string their
instruments upside down and strum or pick with their dominant hand, but
the bridge and the nut have to be modified as well. I have no idea
whether that would be true for lefty guitarists.