[LMB] Left-handed guitars was Re: We've been discussing gene engineering on people...

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Thu Oct 17 06:32:24 BST 2019

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019, Brian Ross Ashley wrote:
> Yes! Elizabeth "Libba" Cotten taught herself to play guitar on a cheap
> instrument she brought from her savings as a domestic. She did write, among
> other songs, "Freight Train" ... and later on had to sue for the royalties
> because a British folk band tried to copyright it.
>
> After marriage and motherhood she gave up the guitar for 25 years. After
> various vicissitudes she was hired by a Washington family as a housemaid,
> after helping the little girl of the family find her mother in a department
> store.
>
> The little girl was Peggy Seeger. Working in the Seeger household prompted
> her to take up her music again ...

Cool! I didn't know that.

> Nota bene, I don't play guitar; I play mountain dulcimer. Different technique
> altogether. Some lefty dulcimer players do string their instruments upside
> down and strum or pick with their dominant hand, but the bridge and the nut
> have to be modified as well. I have no idea whether that would be true for
> lefty guitarists.

According to this
(https://www.guitartricks.com/blog/10-Legendary-Left-Handed-Guitarists)
left-handed guitarists can play regular RH guitars -- either with the
strings upside-down or the guitar restrung -- but that still leaves other
parts of the guitar awkwardly placed, like the direction of the string
bridge, the protective panels, electric pickups, sound controls, cable
jack, strap connections, etc.

All the major manufacturers make left-handed guitars, so clearly there's a
demand for them.

And then there's Southpaw Guitars (https://www.southpawguitars.com/) in
Texas, which says it has "over 900 Left Handed Guitars and Basses in stock
at any time. ... Our lefty guitar shop is conveniently located in Houston
Texas and we are the world's largest left-handed guitar store in the
world."

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, you must be the one to write it.
-- Toni Morrison