Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 18 03:30:31 BST 2019

Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 3:01 PM Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:
[unsnip]
>>> You don't understand what etiology is, and you're defending what isn't
>>> under attack.
[/unsnip]
>> "Etiology" is a ten-dollar medical synonym for "cause".  VERY few
>> conditions have "no etiology".
> You're harping on trivia because you can't defend even the most basic
> aspects of your position.

Why, yes, only a pompous ass would make an issue of it.

>> My sweetie says that that's simply not the case.  She has seen many
>> ADHD people in her practise.  The diagnosis is generally easy to
>> confirm: you give the jittery, constantly-moving person a stimulant.
>> Caffeine will do.  If they become less jittery, they have ADHD.
>> If they don't calm down, they don't.
>Then your sweetie is incompetent.  That method was demonstrated to be
> invalid in the mid-90's.  It's particularly untrue with children, in whom
> most common 'stimulants' act as depressants.  It's called "paradoxical
> effect".

My sweetie is one of the top dozen or 15 people in Canada in her
subspecialty (dementia and related cognitive dysfunction).  Granted,
she hasn't worked much with ADHD people lately.  And your expertise
is from..?

>>>There are no diseases - of any kind - where genetics do not play a strong
>>> role.
>> Scurvy.  Measles.
> We develop scurvy because we've lost the genes for ascorbic acid
> synthesis.  And measles is an infectious viral disease whose tranmission,
> severity, and duration is significantly influenced by individual genetic
> factors.

If you're going to stretch things that far... it's not unlike Heinlein's
character asserting that ultimately, all death is attributable to heart
failure.  Sure.

> I'm writing you off as an idiot.

I would be considerably more troubled if I had your respect and support.

Joel