Lois Aleta Fundis loisaletafundis at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 04:49:49 BST 2019

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 8:06 PM Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> Baseball is slightly different because first base is on the right.    But
> in many sports such as boxing or fencing the lefty has an advantage because
> lefties are a minority.   need to be facile with both hands, like piano
> players.

I believe first base is on the right because most batters are right-handed,
and so naturally would want to go forward, in the direction they're facing
already, to get to first. Lefties have to turn around a bit when they get a
hit. (Or a walk, but walk doesn't rhyme.  :-)  )  So the field is set up
counter-clockwise. It's also a major reason why good left-handed pitchers
are so highly prized.
--
Lois Aleta Fundis
loisaletafundis at gmail.com

"No one you have ever been and no place you have ever gone ever leaves you.
The new parts of you simply jump in the car and go along for the rest of
the ride." -- Bruce Springsteen