Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 06:49:51 BST 2019

Well, there are different patterns (my father would go along months stone
sober, then go on a memorable bender, while my mother never, to my
knowledge, ended the day without sitting up getting blitzed or into that
neighborhood on cheap beer and feeling sorry for herself, and I've seen
others) and different causes.  The lady across the street's mother was a
moderate drinker till her husband died, and then she became an
out-of-control alcoholic.  Other people seem to metabolize alcohol
differently than the norm.

If I were younger and out to make a name for myself in the sciences, I
might do a study on alcoholism starting with throwing EVERYTHING we THINK
we know about it overboard, junking value judgements about "willpower" and
starting like it was something totally new under the sun, and see what I
got.