Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 06:20:30 BST 2019

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 12:14 AM Aruvqan <aruvqan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/18/2019 1:49 AM, Eric Oppen wrote:
> >
> > If I were younger and out to make a name for myself in the sciences, I
> > might do a study on alcoholism starting with throwing EVERYTHING we THINK
> > we know about it overboard, junking value judgements about "willpower"
> and
> > starting like it was something totally new under the sun, and see what I
> > got.
> >
> I think that is an excellent idea. I know I have the whole redhead gene
> thing where the little blue NSAID [maprosyn] is about as effective as an
> M&M for me, but diclfenac 1% gel is a godsend, but for my friend
> Philippa it is about as useful as vaseline. She was one of the guinea
> pigs for osteo knee pain.
>

> "They LAUGHED AT ME at the university!  They SNEERED at my beautiful
theories!  They THREW ME OUT!  They said I was MAD!  MAD, do you hear?
Well, now I've GOT THE POWER, and I'll SHOW THEM ALL!  BWAHAHAHAHAHA!"

--Eric who has been following *Girl Genius* since the dead-tree version.
And who thinks Miles would make a wonderful Spark, and make Ivan, Ekaterin,
the Koudelkas and Mark his minions.

Part of the problem with alcoholism, IMO, is that we're still dealing with
cultural baggage from the Temperance/Prohibition movement.  Another part of
the problem is definition.  Some people think that any drinking at all that
has any visible effect on the drinker is alcoholism.  Others have other
definitions---I would say that anybody whose life is negatively impacted in
a major way (beyond a morning-after hangover) by drinking is likely to be
some sort of "alcoholic."