[LMB] FYI: MacMillan (including Tor Books) is limiting libraries' eBook access

Lois Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Sat Oct 19 16:44:03 BST 2019

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sat Oct 19 04:17:37 BST 2019

LMB: (Top posting to leave in the references):  The situation is a bit
more complex -- it was recently discussed in my Q&A column on my blog --

https://www.goodreads.com/questions/1677540-i-just-read-this-in-my-local-paper-and-i

Some more discussion in the comments.

The received wisdom back in the day was that, on average, 80 - 90% of a
book's total sales took place during its first two months of shelf
life.  (Mine, as usual, were an exception.)  So I see where they came up
with the two-month time limit.

Alayne:  I received the following message from my public library today,
about
a recent action by mega-publisher MacMillan, whose imprints include major
SF/F publisher Tor Books, regarding libraries' access to eBooks.

Your access to eBooks is in jeopardy

Dear OPL Customer

Ottawa Public Library is committed to providing access to all kinds of
books,
ideas, information and resources. Our goal is to connect you with titles you
want to read – whether it’s in print, eBook or audiobook format. Recently,
Macmillan Publishing, one of the large multinational publishers, announced a
business change that will have a direct impact on your ability to access
popular eBooks.

Effective Friday, November 1, all public libraries will only be able to
buy one
copy of any new Macmillan eBook release, and will have to wait eight weeks
before they can buy additional copies. This means much longer wait times for
eBooks from authors such as Louise Penny, Nora Roberts, Jeffrey Archer,
Liane
Moriarty, and many more.

Through this embargo, not only will Macmillan limit the public’s access to
popular eBooks, but they will create a barrier for customers who cannot
afford
to purchase digital content, and for those who rely on their public
library to
access digital information. This particularly impacts people with visual or
learning disabilities who use eBooks for the ease of changing font size.

MacMillan’s new model for eBook lending will make it difficult for libraries
to ensure access for all – which is central to our mission.

Libraries are a critical connector between authors and readers, and we
fundament
   all believe in open access to books, information and ideas. In
response to
Macmillan's action, the Canadian Urban Libraries Council (CULC), Urban
Libraries
   Council (ULC), American Library Association (ALA), public library
leaders, and
other key stakeholders have joined together in opposition to Macmillan’s
policy change.

We are asking all eBook lovers and those who believe in equal access to
information, to stand up for libraries’ ability to buy and lend the digital
content you expect to find in libraries. You may wish to sign the petition
below, eBooks for All, to demand that Macmillan work with libraries to
provide
inclusive access to new eBooks digital content barrier-free.

Sign the Petition here:

https://ebooksforall.org/

Thank you for supporting OPL as we continue to stand up for your right to
access information in all forms, including newly released eBooks.

Sincerely,

Danielle McDonald

CEO, Ottawa Public Library