[LMB] On ADHD

Rachel Dingle rdingle at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 02:14:07 BST 2019

> *70% of all autistics have at least one other neurological or
> psychological condition; 40% have two or more.? Anxiety is the most common,
> but depression, epilepsy, dyslexia, prosopognosia, and a range of other
> issues are also quite common.? However, because Kanner wanted to make sure
> nobody could claim that his pet disorder that made his name and reputation
> was the result or side effect of any other disorders, and because neither
> he nor anyone else did any prevalence studies of autism until the 1980s, he
> refused to diagnose anyone with any other conditions.
>

> Beatrice Otter

I know nothing about this and so certainly cannot speak to that guy's
motivations. However, I am regularly involved in testing children for
central auditory processing delay/disorder (which is still controversial
anyway) and am constantly telling parents that we shouldn't really test
their kids for CAP if they have a diagnosis of ADHD/ADD (or many other
diagnoses, but that's the one that crops up most of the time). The reason
isn't that having those diagnoses means that you couldn't theoretically
have issues with auditory processing, it's just that we do not have the
norms to know what to expect in terms of scores on the test battery from
kids with ADHD. And/or we haven't developed enough appropriate tests that
aren't highly dependent on attention. The research hasn't been done. I
would think it would have been similar for a while when autism was a new
concept?