[LMB] OT: Coffee, was We've been discussing gene engineering on people...

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 20 11:14:15 BST 2019

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 9:20 PM Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
> It has been reported to me that "12-step" groups---Alcoholics Anonymous,
> for example---practically run on coffee.  Might they be using it to
> self-medicate and stay sober/clean/whatever?

Gwynne: I don't think I use it for any kind of medication, I don't feel
much effect from coffee. If I want a buzz I reach for the tequila (or
Scotch, or Limoncello.... )

I came to coffee-drinking relatively recently; I come from a long
line of tea-drinkers. Now it's tea in the morning, coffee in the afternoon.
The problem is, I rarely drink coffee when I'm out, there's just so much truly
horrendous coffee out there. Tea is safer, they can't really stuff tea up too
much (although Twinings Irish Breakfast is the best, Earl Grey is fine, the rest
is acceptable.) But there's some pretty ordinary instant coffee out there,
and some that's even worse, so unless I see a nice coffee machine lurking in
the kitchen I just go with tea. Yes, sadly, I've realised I'm a coffee snob.

Although in my defence I'm not THAT snobby; I do pods. I'm not ready for
the heady world of grinding the beans and making REAL PROPER coffee for
myself yet. Mostly because my record with complex machinery is pretty tragic.

But one day.....