Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 20 11:44:02 BST 2019

From: Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>

Well, there are different patterns (my father would go along months stone
sober, then go on a memorable bender, while my mother never, to my
knowledge, ended the day without sitting up getting blitzed or into that
neighborhood on cheap beer and feeling sorry for herself, and I've seen
others) and different causes.  The lady across the street's mother was a
moderate drinker till her husband died, and then she became an
out-of-control alcoholic.  Other people seem to metabolize alcohol
differently than the norm.
If I were younger and out to make a name for myself in the sciences, I
might do a study on alcoholism starting with throwing EVERYTHING we THINK
we know about it overboard, junking value judgements about "willpower" and
starting like it was something totally new under the sun, and see what I
got.

Gwynne: I think that what we call 'alcoholism' is probably several different
conditions, with varying degrees of psychological and physical involvement,
all lumped under the one heading. For one thing, that would explain why
some people respond so well to various 'cures', and others just can't seem
to cope.

And you're very smart to want to start from scratch studying them; there's
been so many medical truths that have fallen recently, because someone
finally went back to the beginning to find out how they started, and it turned
out that the original studies were pretty shaky but they were just accepted
and passed on down.