[LMB] On ADHD

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 20 11:59:10 BST 2019

From: Beatrice Otter <beatrice_otter at zoho.com>

First: it does show up in adults.? People don't grow out of it.? Symptoms change with age but they don't go away.? Children with ADD grow up into adults with ADD.? (In the same way, autistic children become autistic adults.)? The fact that we look for it in children and not in adults says more about our prejudices about the condition than about the actual condition.
I hang out on tumblr a bit, and tumblr has high ADD/ADHD visibility.? That is, people with the condition often post about their symptoms and how they manage them.? Which leads to a steady stream people who have ADD but were never diagnosed* going "That's an ADD symptom?? I thought I was just lazy/stupid/bad for not being able to do $thing that everyone else does!"? Then they either learn better coping skills from other people with ADD or get medicated and find that things that most people can do that they never could suddenly become possible.

Gwynne: The reason conditions like ASD, ADHD, ADD, etc are mostly discussed in
terms of children is that that's when most diagnoses are made. The school system
is generally the front line. By the time the child has become an adult they have,
hopefully, developed coping strategies and are better able to deal with their
condition. They are also able to control their lives a bit more, and avoid situations
that are too challenging for them.

Btw, when dealing with and diagnosing children, it's a good idea to add petit mal
to the list; many 'daydreaming' children could be ADD, or they could be having
petit mals (I've seen children do that during a conversation, totally losing the thread
while speaking.) Another real condition that many people see as just a failure of
concentration, and lack of effort by the poor kid.