Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 20 13:04:20 BST 2019

From: Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>

Part of the problem with alcoholism, IMO, is that we're still dealing with
cultural baggage from the Temperance/Prohibition movement.  Another part of
the problem is definition.  Some people think that any drinking at all that
has any visible effect on the drinker is alcoholism.  Others have other
definitions---I would say that anybody whose life is negatively impacted in
a major way (beyond a morning-after hangover) by drinking is likely to be
some sort of "alcoholic."

Gwynne: My grandmother and Great-Aunt were members of the Temperance
Society in England, before they came out to Australia. They rarely touched a
drop (maybe the heady indulgence of a small sherry for special occasions.)
Otherwise alcohol was for medicinal purposes only. Nearly every one of my
family remedies involves alcohol - as a child I'd be given a tablespoon of
brandy if I was sick. Even the chooks were dosed with brandy if they weren't
well. Mum still takes a dose of Port wine and brandy for an upset stomach.
I mean, who wants to do something silly like ... oh, I don't know... go to a
doctor or something, not when there's perfectly good alcohol in the house
instead.