[LMB] Flowers of Vashnoi

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 20 13:30:05 BST 2019

And so it begins...

But just before it begins, to leap ahead to the end, I have to say that one
of my favourite moments is when Ekaterin is in the hospital being de-radiationed,
and has the passing thought that this must be the best place for treatment,
because if it wasn't then Miles would have moved her to the best place. It's
totally matter-of-fact, that's just how their relationship is structured.

And doesn't that sum up the difference between Miles and the late unlamented
Tien. Both of them are full of the Vor ideal, but for Tien it meant keeping his
wife away from the world, to make sure she's safe. To Miles it means giving her
assistants and good equipment, special training (like the space survival course)
if necessary, and then standing back and cheering her from the sidelines.

No, I'm not going to go over the whole Tien issue again, I just love that moment,
I love the trust and understanding between them. Miles is going crazy when
she's at risk, but he'd never stop her.