[LMB] Flowers of Vashnoi.... and so it begins - Sidetrack

markus baur baur at chello.at
Sun Oct 20 15:32:50 BST 2019

something that occured to me one dark night about flowers of Vashnoi -
or more specific the bugs .. (yes, its my engineer brain that worries
about thinkgs like that)

since the radiation is so longlived we have to assume that the Cetas
palyed games with the isotope contents of the bomb (and thus its fall
out isotope mix) - it probably was a salted bomb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salted_bomb

very many of the results of such a bomb are nasty isotopes of caesium,
strontium, cobalt, gold and other stuff ..

the main problem is caesium and strontium who have relatively long half
lives (responsible for the long time thid area has been unusable) and
whose oxides (and they are mostl likely present as oxides) are both
soluble and easi<y taken up in the food chain

my question is this .. in what chemical form do the bugs excrete these
to substances, so that they are stable and do not reenter the foodchain?

note that i do not talk about the mechanism the bugs use to concentrate
these radioactices, only about the stable for used for excretion- it has
not to be watersoluble (or at soluble) and it has to be compeltely
uninteresting to other lifeforms as a source of food

servus

markus