[LMB] Flowers of Vashnoi.... and so it begins - Sidetrack

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 15:54:05 BST 2019

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 10:33 AM markus baur <baur at chello.at> wrote:

> something that occured to me one dark night about flowers of Vashnoi -
> or more specific the bugs .. (yes, its my engineer brain that worries
> about thinkgs like that)

[cruel and heartless snippage of good stuff]

> the main problem is caesium and strontium who have relatively long half
> lives (responsible for the long time thid area has been unusable) and
> whose oxides (and they are mostl likely present as oxides) are both
> soluble and easi<y taken up in the food chain
>
> my question is this .. in what chemical form do the bugs excrete these
> to substances, so that they are stable and do not reenter the foodchain?
>
> note that i do not talk about the mechanism the bugs use to concentrate
> these radioactices, only about the stable for used for excretion- it has
> not to be watersoluble (or at soluble) and it has to be compeltely
> uninteresting to other lifeforms as a source of food

I'd guess Enrique would play it a bit differently: Pick a relatively
low-solubility salt (though I'd bet all salts of caesium are pretty darn
soluble), and surround it with yucky/poisonous stuff. Sure there's good
stuff there, but the critter that tries to eat it dies too fast to get it
far from the dung-mound. Combine that with a roughly daily mound-collection
effort, and things might go well enough.

[severe snippage of good stuff]

Karen Hunt