[LMB] Flowers of Vashnoi.... and so it begins - Sidetrack

markus baur baur at chello.at
Sun Oct 20 16:11:17 BST 2019

Am 20.10.2019 um 16:54 schrieb Karen Hunt:
> On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 10:33 AM markus baur <baur at chello.at> wrote:
>
>> something that occured to me one dark night about flowers of Vashnoi -
>> or more specific the bugs .. (yes, its my engineer brain that worries
>> about thinkgs like that)
>>

> [cruel and heartless snippage of good stuff]

how could you cruely dispose off my timeless prose !! 8)

>> the main problem is caesium and strontium who have relatively long half
>> lives (responsible for the long time thid area has been unusable) and
>> whose oxides (and they are mostl likely present as oxides) are both
>> soluble and easi<y taken up in the food chain
>>
>> my question is this .. in what chemical form do the bugs excrete these
>> to substances, so that they are stable and do not reenter the foodchain?
>>
>> note that i do not talk about the mechanism the bugs use to concentrate
>> these radioactices, only about the stable for used for excretion- it has
>> not to be watersoluble (or at soluble) and it has to be compeltely
>> uninteresting to other lifeforms as a source of food
>
> I'd guess Enrique would play it a bit differently: Pick a relatively
> low-solubility salt (though I'd bet all salts of caesium are pretty darn
> soluble), and surround it with yucky/poisonous stuff.

being poisonous would make it uninteresting as food .. at least until
some critter develops immunity to the poison (which they do
distressingly often and quickly)

and plants might also be interested in the stuff

> Sure there's good
> stuff there, but the critter that tries to eat it dies too fast to get it
> far from the dung-mound. Combine that with a roughly daily mound-collection
> effort, and things might go well enough.

that should help ..

servus

markus