[LMB] Flowers of Vashnoi.... and so it begins

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 20 23:17:00 BST 2019

Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
>> On Oct 20, 2019, at 7:05 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> It begins with one of the deepest fears we have: radiation.
>
> I understand *them* having that as a deep fear.   But is it a common fear on Earth?

I certainly have that impression.  Any time I encounter reporting that
mentions the word "radiation" or "radioactive", that's immediately
followed by elaborate reassurance when it isn't a real hazard (which
is almost always the case in such reporting).  "Magnetic Resonance
Imaging" AKA "MRI" has that name instead of anything like "Nuclear
Magnetic Resonance", the term that's used in chemistry/physics,
because of the scary word "nuclear".

Joel