[LMB] On ADHD

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 20 23:50:12 BST 2019

From: Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>

I have mixed feelings about diagnosing learning difficulties.   Getting a name for a problem can enable teachers to come up with better teaching strategies.
But? When a label for someone?s learning difficulty isn?t found, teachers *still* need to come up with better teaching strategies.
Labels simplify things.   But simplification isn?t the goal.

Gwynne: I've seen so many parents who were immensely relieved when their
child was diagnosed. Partly because it meant that better strategies could be
targetted at the problem, but partly because they'd spent so long being told
that they were 'neurotic parents', making a fuss, patronised by doctors, and
generally ignored or blamed for their concerns and their child's behaviour.
The diagnosis proved that they weren't idiots or failures, and that they had good
reason for their concerns.