[LMB] OT: Coffee, was We've been discussing gene engineering on people...

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Oct 21 00:00:10 BST 2019

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 07:52:01PM +0000, Kevin Kennedy wrote:

> ________________________________
>

> I came to coffee-drinking relatively recently; I come from a long
> line of tea-drinkers. Now it's tea in the morning, coffee in the afternoon.
> The problem is, I rarely drink coffee when I'm out, there's just so much truly
> horrendous coffee out there. Tea is safer, they can't really stuff tea up too
> much (although Twinings Irish Breakfast is the best, Earl Grey is fine, the rest
> is acceptable.) But there's some pretty ordinary instant coffee out there,
> and some that's even worse, so unless I see a nice coffee machine lurking in
> the kitchen I just go with tea. Yes, sadly, I've realised I'm a coffee snob.
>
> Gwynne, if you're ever in the US, stick with coffee. Most places,
> they bring you a cup of hot water and a teabag. You have to put it
> in the cup yourself. The water is never close  enough to boiling for

Not only is the water nowhere near hot enough, most of tea bags
you're offered acould charitably be called mediocre tea.

> the tea to taste good.  As for iced tea, if you get it in the South,
> the waitress will ask "Sweet or unsweet?" Sweet tea is hypersweet.
> Enough to make my teeth ache, & I LIKE sweet things

On those rare occasions, I'll ask for "half 'n half" so it is sweet
but not so outrageously so.

               Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;
                     Guide me in your truth and teach me,
                         for you are God my Savior,
                    And my hope is in you all day long.