[LMB] OT: Coffee, was We've been discussing gene engineering on people...

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Oct 21 00:04:40 BST 2019

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 07:52:01PM +0000, Kevin Kennedy wrote:

> ________________________________
>

> I came to coffee-drinking relatively recently; I come from a long
> line of tea-drinkers. Now it's tea in the morning, coffee in the afternoon.
> The problem is, I rarely drink coffee when I'm out, there's just so much truly
> horrendous coffee out there. Tea is safer, they can't really stuff tea up too
> much (although Twinings Irish Breakfast is the best, Earl Grey is fine, the rest
> is acceptable.) But there's some pretty ordinary instant coffee out there,
> and some that's even worse, so unless I see a nice coffee machine lurking in
> the kitchen I just go with tea. Yes, sadly, I've realised I'm a coffee snob.
>
> Gwynne, if you're ever in the US, stick with coffee. Most places, they bring you a cup of hot water and a teabag. You have to put it in the cup yourself. The water is never close  enough to boiling for the tea to taste good.  As for iced tea, if you get it in the South, the waitress will ask "Sweet or unsweet?" Sweet tea is hypersweet.  Enough to make my teeth ache, & I LIKE sweet things

And I don't see how or why anyone likes coffee. to me, it is the most
bitter thing I've ever tasted. and I don't like bitter.

I said something like that to a co-worker a few years ago, and she
gave me a  head-tilted quizzical look and said "Whaddaya mean?
Coffee isn't bitter!"

Clearly we're at the opposite ends of bitter-sensitivity, I've seen
her drink coffee to soothe an upset stomach. Gross.

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.