[LMB] Flowers of Vashnoi.... and so it begins

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 21 00:11:00 BST 2019

From: Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com>

Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> I understand *them* having that as a deep fear.?? But is it a common fear on Earth?

I certainly have that impression.  Any time I encounter reporting that
mentions the word "radiation" or "radioactive", that's immediately
followed by elaborate reassurance when it isn't a real hazard (which
is almost always the case in such reporting).  "Magnetic Resonance
Imaging" AKA "MRI" has that name instead of anything like "Nuclear
Magnetic Resonance", the term that's used in chemistry/physics,
because of the scary word "nuclear".
Joel

Gwynne: Remember the hysteria about Chernobyl, and the reactor in Japan?
Any time there's a problem with a nuclear reactor it causes widespread fear.
Three Mile Island?

There were huge protests against the French nuclear tests in the Pacific,
British tests in the Australian outback, and US tests in the US (which are
blamed for killing John Wayne!) And a lot of pushback against the idea
of nuclear reactors in general.