[LMB] Flowers of Vashnoi.... and so it begins - Sidetrack

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 21 01:00:30 BST 2019

On Monday, October 21, 2019, 12:11:29 AM GMT+9, markus baur <baur at chello.at> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 10:33 AM markus baur <baur at chello.at> wrote:
>
>> something that occured to me one dark night about flowers of Vashnoi -
>> or more specific the bugs .. (yes, its my engineer brain that worries
>> about thinkgs like that)
>>

> [cruel and heartless snippage of good stuff]

how could you cruely dispose off my timeless prose !! 8)

>> the main problem is caesium and strontium who have relatively long half
>> lives (responsible for the long time thid area has been unusable) and
>> whose oxides (and they are mostl likely present as oxides) are both
>> soluble and easi<y taken up in the food chain
>>
>> my question is this .. in what chemical form do the bugs excrete these
>> to substances, so that they are stable and do not reenter the foodchain?
>>
>> note that i do not talk about the mechanism the bugs use to concentrate
>> these radioactices, only about the stable for used for excretion- it has
>> not to be watersoluble (or at soluble) and it has to be compeltely
>> uninteresting to other lifeforms as a source of food
>
> I'd guess Enrique would play it a bit differently: Pick a relatively
> low-solubility salt (though I'd bet all salts of caesium are pretty darn
> soluble), and surround it with yucky/poisonous stuff.

Micki: Interesting! Maybe the poop is encapsulated in a natural polymer
that is waterproof, and also not digestible . . . passes right through the
stupider animals (I'm thinking sheep), and not edible to the littler ones
who depend on poo. Which may create a problem in the food chain, but
there are enough other critters pooping, it should be OK.

Butterbugs are an addition, not a replacement, to the food chain (except
they eat stuff that would be available for other critters . . . so  . . . ?)