[LMB] Flowers of Vashnoi.... and so it begins

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 05:03:03 BST 2019

On 10/20/2019 6:17 PM, Joel Polowin wrote:

> I certainly have that impression.  Any time I encounter reporting that
> mentions the word "radiation" or "radioactive", that's immediately
> followed by elaborate reassurance when it isn't a real hazard (which
> is almost always the case in such reporting).

I am definitely the outlier on that list - I worked hazmat and in nuke
plants [as an ASE certified outside mechanic] and have my own dosimetry,
and actually track my lifetime body burden =) I am [or so I was told]
the only person who wanted to know how much exposure I was getting
during my radiation therapy [5400 rad a day, 26 doses] and actually knew
what my lifetime body burden was [or what it actually is, most people
have no idea, but I have to calculate it additionally from occupational
exposure to a daily count because I live on a granite shelf that is
decomposing granite to clay and radon ... ]

I find it secretly amusing to look at the various hazard warnings for
various household chemicals and know that [for example] I have stuck my
hands in a vat of sodium hypochlorite [household bleach] at 13 percent,
the household bleach in the store maxing out at 5 percent ... or getting
paint off my hands with reagent grade toluene, or testing the seal on
cylinder valves using 1,1,1,-trichlor ... and am probably one of the few
living people currently to have been gassed with phosgene. [I used to
joke that my job was covertly the US Government Jupiter Acclimation
Project, my valve shop was located between the chlorine shop, the
ammonia shop and the acid fill bay.] I have taken a 'smoke' break
sitting on the catwalk above the spent rod storage pool admiring the
pretty blue radiation glow in the bottom =)

---