[LMB] OT: Coffee, was We've been discussing gene engineering on people...

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Mon Oct 21 07:45:26 BST 2019

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 07:04:40PM -0400, Fred Smith wrote:

> And I don't see how or why anyone likes coffee. to me, it is the most
> bitter thing I've ever tasted. and I don't like bitter.

Both tea and coffee are bitter, but how bitter depends a lot on how it's
made and out of what.

> Clearly we're at the opposite ends of bitter-sensitivity, I've seen
> her drink coffee to soothe an upset stomach. Gross.

I recently read _Five Families, on a day in the life of some Mexican
families in 1959, while staying with a Mexican.  The book described
massive amounts of coffee drinking, even giving it to kids before
bedtime, or waking someone in the evening to ask if they wanted their
coffee.  The Mexican confirmed yes this was a thing, especially among
poorer Mexicans; I'm guessing a cheap way to get some flavor in their
life.

OTOH I'm told that Australians basically drink either espresso or
instant coffee, when it comes to coffee.  And lo!

https://time.com/2982636/maps-instant-fresh-coffee/

-xx- Damien X-)