Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Oct 21 19:11:47 BST 2019

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 19:05:31 -0400, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Type One Diabetes is thought to generally be an autoimmune disorder.  Genes
>are thought to affect the chance of developing it, but exposure to
>pathogens is probably required, and it's quite likely that no genetic
>alteration would be able to eradicate the condition

But if you could eradicate the genes that convey a predisposition, you
could reduce the incidence considerably.  How about the BRCA1/2 gene
variants?  The general population incidence of women who get breast
cancer is around 12%; among women with a variant gene, it's 72%.  I'd
like to see those variants eliminated.  Doesn't mean no cancers, but it
means a sixfold risk reduction, and a concomitant reduction in
precautionary surgery.
--
There's nothing like good food, good wine, and a bad girl. - fortune cookie