[LMB] What's needed

Lois Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Sat Feb 1 00:20:43 GMT 2020

[LMB] What's needed
Baur baur at chello.at
Fri Jan 31 18:17:56 GMT 2020

Am 31.01.2020 um 19:06 schrieb Margaret Dean:
 > On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 8:04 AM Baur <baur at chello.at> wrote:
 >
 >> Am 31.01.2020 um 15:58 schrieb thirlsmith at greenbee.net:
 >>> I like these ideas a lot, though movable type would have deprived
Penric
 >> of
 >>> one of his first real jobs. Perhaps Des could have helped with
making the
 >>> type though... she could probably etch away the surface of a metal
blank
 >>> faster than molten moulding would work, at least in small batches.
 >>
 >> but that would limit the process to people partnered with demon
 >
 > Obviously there is no movable type by Penric's time, but I think
there must
 > be by Cazaril's. If there were no printed books, you wouldn't be able to
 > get two copies of Ordol (or any other book for that matter) that were
 > sufficiently identical to use for coded messages, I wouldn't think.

Bauer:  that kind of book code would also work with woodcut or copperplatwe
printed books

LMB:  Actually, I fancy movable type is in the offing in Pen's world.
Pen has in fact just invented the Betamax version of printing, due to be
out-competed pretty quickly.  I hope he collects some royalties first.

Given the lens-crafting we've seen,
telescopes/improved-enough-to-be-practical telescopes are right around
the corner, certainly in Pen's lifetime, and microscopes won't be far
behind.

It is non-obvious in the stories, but the 5GU also /lacks/ some of the
wrong theories -- the humours, for example -- that impeded progress in
Western Europe in the equivalent period. Human dissection is not
forbidden, and is in fact a standard part of advanced medical training,
as we've seen.  At the moment, discovery is limited to what can be seen
with a good magnifying glass, but as soon as the tools are invented,
they will be deployed.

Ta, L.