[LMB] What’s needed

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Sat Feb 1 00:35:49 GMT 2020

On Jan 31, 2020, at 10:12 AM, Elin B <elbju at yahoo.se> wrote:

> Looking at the history of printing in China, I feel that paper-making is more vital than movable types.
> Block printing with wooden blocks is slower than movable types, but a lot faster than writing for hand - as long as you have paper production for it.
> Not just because vellum isn't good for printing on, but primarily because it takes so long and is so expensive to make.
> But apparently paper already exists in 5GU, so now all we need is the invention of *some* kind of printing, and social conditions to allow for its spread and propagation....

Very true.  I seem to remember that in L. Sprague de Camp's Lest Darkness Fall, the hero (having time traveled to ancient Rome) puts out a first edition of a cheap newpaper on vellum, but then discovers that he's used up the supply so has to invent papermaking before he can put out the next edition.

Katherine