[LMB] What's needed

Baur baur at chello.at
Sat Feb 1 08:40:28 GMT 2020

Am 01.02.2020 um 01:20 schrieb Lois Bujold:
> [LMB] What's needed
> Baur baur at chello.at
> Fri Jan 31 18:17:56 GMT 2020
>

> Am 31.01.2020 um 19:06 schrieb Margaret Dean:
>  > On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 8:04 AM Baur <baur at chello.at> wrote:
>  >
>  >> Am 31.01.2020 um 15:58 schrieb thirlsmith at greenbee.net:
>  >>> I like these ideas a lot, though movable type would have deprived
> Penric
>  >> of
>  >>> one of his first real jobs. Perhaps Des could have helped with
> making the
>  >>> type though... she could probably etch away the surface of a metal
> blank
>  >>> faster than molten moulding would work, at least in small batches.
>  >>
>  >> but that would limit the process to people partnered with demon
>  >
>  > Obviously there is no movable type by Penric's time, but I think
> there must
>  > be by Cazaril's. If there were no printed books, you wouldn't be able to
>  > get two copies of Ordol (or any other book for that matter) that were
>  > sufficiently identical to use for coded messages, I wouldn't think.
>
> Bauer:  that kind of book code would also work with woodcut or copperplatwe
> printed books

its Baur 8) (corrupted old time spelling of the same word - farmer)

> LMB:  Actually, I fancy movable type is in the offing in Pen's world.
> Pen has in fact just invented the Betamax version of printing, due to be
> out-competed pretty quickly.  I hope he collects some royalties first.

yes, a bit more financial independence would be good for him, but than i
can see him handing all the royalties over to his order .. (who would
have a lot more legal clout in the sure to be following courts battles)

> Given the lens-crafting we've seen,
> telescopes/improved-enough-to-be-practical telescopes are right around
> the corner, certainly in Pen's lifetime, and microscopes won't be far
> behind.
>
> It is non-obvious in the stories, but the 5GU also /lacks/ some of the
> wrong theories -- the humours, for example -- that impeded progress in
> Western Europe in the equivalent period. Human dissection is not
> forbidden, and is in fact a standard part of advanced medical training,
> as we've seen.  At the moment, discovery is limited to what can be seen
> with a good magnifying glass, but as soon as the tools are invented,
> they will be deployed.

this statement, coming form this source makes me very happy for the 5GU 8)

actually the first microscopes were single lense types ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonie_van_Leeuwenhoek

servus

markus

> Ta, L.