[LMB] What’s needed

Baur baur at chello.at
Sat Feb 1 14:51:02 GMT 2020

Am 01.02.2020 um 15:21 schrieb WalterStuartBushell:

>> On Feb 1, 2020, at 3:59 AM, Baur <baur at chello.at> wrote:
>>
>> based on what one of my turkish co-workers once said - lots of the
>> serious, intellectual thinking and writing did happen not only in
>> arabic script, but also arabic language - this because the (early)
>> universities were islam / religion dominated (just like
>> universities in europe), and the only proper language to discuss
>> religion in was arabic (becasue the koran may not be translated)
>>
>> servus
>
> Like Latin in Europe connected all the educated men in Europe, Arabic
> connected the Islamic world,ch which considered Europe to be an
> ignorant backwater in need of civilization.
>
> Remember the Ottomans (not those cylindrical footrests) got to the
> gates of Vienna in Joe Haydn’s time, hence his “Mass in Time of War”

yes, no sort of ..

the missa in tempora belli was composed in 1796 (i had to look up the
exact year) - the second turkish siege of vienna was 1683 (first one was
1529) - more than 100 earlier

its is therefore a bit debatable how far this mess really refers to the
turkish wars - the war of Napoleon in northern italy (an austrian land
at that time) is more likely as inspiration

servus

markus

--
Email from my mobile connection.