[LMB] What's needed (Balloons)

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Feb 1 17:59:03 GMT 2020

On Sat, Feb 01, 2020 at 06:42:26PM +0100, Baur wrote:
> Am 01.02.2020 um 17:39 schrieb Carol Botteron:
> >Carol Botteron:
> >>In the 5GU, very effective weapons might reduce the use of balloons.
> >>If effective weapons have not been developed, balloons would make
> >>developing them a priority.
>
> the first manned mongolfiere hat a diameter of 15 meters, and thus a
> surface area of 700 to 800 m2 - which is a LOT of fabric
>
> given the cost of high quality fabric in medievloid societies this
> is a pretty expensive project

In the Larry Niven/David Gerrold send-up of Isaac Asimov (right now
I can't remember its name), "Purple" and his native associates found
a plant-based "gum" (or similar) to use as a coating on the fabric
they were weaving for baloons. Wasn't perfect, but it worked well-enough.
(Y'know, where the main native character's two sons carved bicycles out
of wood, and were named Wilville and Orbur)

Fred

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.